Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 8

Today was a wonderful day, the first quilting day with my dear mom. For those of you just tuning in...in an effort to spend more time with my mom and get in touch with my inner 1920's housewife/mom I have devoted my Saturday mornings to quilting with my mother. For those of you that know me, you would not gather I am the quilting type, in fact I am a self proclaimed rock n roll cowgirl who wears boots 6 days a week because I don't have the patience to tie my shoes. Others might say it is right up my alley, after all I love to cook and having a big family, it just comes with the territory. Well I must say I have a new devoted respect for quilters...and for squares. Yes, squares and I'm not referring to the guy/girl you dated in 8th grade. If you have never quilted then you won't get the square reference, but having to cut a couple dozen squares today to prep, was an experience in itself. Not to mention the math and geometry skills required for quilting, I mean for real, why don't you just thrown in Spanish and French and we would've covered every subject in the first year of college.

Originally the plan was my mom was going to work on making doll while I worked on a quilt, dolls are one of her real sewing passions. Well 30 minutes into working with me, she decided maybe it was best that she also work on a quilt she had already started so she could help me and I could learn by watching her.  Another 20 minutes into it...and she decided it would be best if we both worked on the same quilt and made two identical quilts. Knowing how nice my mom was, this was her way of guaranteeing that at least one quilt would come out ok, even if we had to sacrifice the other during the process. Wow....you can gather I was not the best student and had a lot to learn. God bless my mom, she was so patient and willing to work with my total inexperience. Well after 4-6 hours of prep, including going to the store to purchase materials and re-learning how to use the sewing machine again we accomplished.....da da dah....two whole squares...



I know it doesn't look like much, but those two squares kicked my a?#! But what was even more amazing was I didn't want to stop I wanted to do more...however I could tell my mom was ready to throw in the towel and call it a day....so I had mercy on her and we stopped.

Although she was wore out my mom would've continued for hours if I wanted. She was so happy and so was I, in fact we spent the whole day together talking and just hanging out, I didn't want to leave her. It felt so good to be around her and soak in her pure goodness.

My prayer tonight...Lord please help me to be at least part of the mom my mother is...and forgive me for any hurt I have ever caused her. Please bless the desires of her humble heart..she wants nor prays for anything but the safety and happiness of her children. Please fill her with that peace and thank you for blessing me with such a wonderful Mom. Amen.

Until Manana.....

1 comment:

  1. Girl, the blocks are very nice. Ask your mom what print fabric she used, because I might look into getting some for a quilt for Sharon Smith. Sounds like a nice day for both.

    ReplyDelete